Thursday, June 10, 2010

get inked.

Is it me, or is blogging just a little bit easier after a glass or two of wine?  I always get so nervous about people reading my writing.  Maybe it's just beginner's stage fright, or maybe it's leftover from my days as an aspiring journalist when editors were constantly ripping me a new one.  Experienced bloggers, how do YOU get comfy before a post?

Well anyways, I have a full glass in hand now, so on to post #2!

I have to say, I was really touched by all the wonderful compliments on Sophia's blog (www.kechi-kechi.blogspot.com) about my tattoo!  I LOVE everything about tattoos, when they are done well, and it's so refreshing to see how much more accepting society has become towards girls with ink.   


You can see most of my tats in this pic.  I got my first tattoo, the Chinese character ("beauty") and the lotus, when I was 16, and although it's much less prominent than the other work on my back, it will always be incredibly special to me because 1) it was my first and 2) my best friend in the whole wide world also has a lotus on her back <3.  My back is actually three different tattoos that took a total of about nine sessions (probably about 25 hours total).





The tattoo at right is my most recent one.  It is a wire mannequin on the side of my rib cage, about 2.5" tall.  I love it because it's everything my other tattoos aren't -- it's small, simple, black & white, and not organic (with the blossoms, wind, and peacock, I was beginning to feel like a botanical garden).  The picture is right after my session, so I'm still holding the bandage (which I think is actually a doggie pee pad).  Eventually I plan to add a phrase in French, but I am still wrestling with the idea of having words on my body forever.  For some reason, it seems like much more commitment.


I wish I had a picture of my best friend's tattoo.  She has some sparrows and orchids in a huge piece on her back, and it's one of the most gorgeous tattoos I've ever seen.  Sadly, she is quite camera shy.

But don't despair, I have a few other amazing tattoos I can share with you:


My little sister's leg

My little's sister's arm (and face...isn't she gorgeous?)

P.S. My sister and I are so close to our artist that last year for his birthday, we baked dozens of mini cupcakes (with rainbow sprinkles!) and dropped them off at the San Jose tattoo convention for him...how often do you suppose that happens?

My friend's side...without face, but trust, she's also gorgeous.


The best part about both these girls?  You would never think they have the massive amount of inkwork that they do.  I <3 undercover bad ass bitches (that is a post in its own).

Well, I'm sure you guys are getting tired of reading this by now, so I'll just say good night and hopefully some of you will still be around next time I login :)

xoxo,
V

6 comments:

  1. Sweeeeet. I love ink too, but only when done tastefully. Yours? Yes.
    I have one big one on my right abdomen, starts beneath my breast and goes to my hip bone. I forget that I have it because it's almost always covered up.
    Anyway, just keep blogging as you feel. It'll come to you naturally! Pretty soon you'll be itching to blog.

    Keep up with it, i'm enjoying seeing other aspects of your life other than what I knew from journalism class :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two small tattoos and I thought i was hardcore! :p Yours are beautiful works of art. Birds are a symbol of freedom and it is nice to see you embody such a free spirit :) I like your sister's angry koi fish. You two are very nature-esque! :D

    I get ready to make blog posts by having a glass of wine or two as well. Sometimes I feel like a raging alcoholic, but it can't be any other way. It's really what you write at the moment that makes an entry special :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are the reactions like, when you show off the tattoos to new friends? :P

    Blogging's best with a hot chocolate on cold days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get nervous... b/c I consider my blog my space, and if someone doesn't like something they read ~ click the X in the upper right :) The interwebz makes me feel safer about expressing myself freely.

    The leg tat ~ HOTT!! You two must cause quite a stir at pool parties!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. vikki i'm so glad you started a blog!!!!
    you'll definitely add something new and can't wait to see your future post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone for your tips and support!

    @susy - I totally understand what you mean when you say you forget about your tattoo because it's covered up! I bet your tattoo is amazing though! I hope some day you will grace us with a picture :)

    @rainy days - First off, your blog name is incredible. :) Second, I don't know if I'm going to be a free spirit for much longer -- I'm sure that my eventual career path of becoming a lawyer won't allow for much freedom -- so I'm trying to express myself individually wherever and whenever I can :)

    @vincent - I LOVE watching everyone's different reactions when they first see my tattoos. Most people are surprised but react very positively -- even my parents and other relatives were supportive (rare for Asian families, I would think). BY FAR, the best reactions are from guys who say things like "What you know about tattoos, girl??" right before I show them my back and shut them the hell up.

    @sophia - It is pretty awesome when we run around together, even more awesome when I'm in a large group and there are more girls with tats than guys!

    @ping - Thanks! I'll try to keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete